Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Accidental Tourist

Yesterday was one of my best friend's birthday. There was no big celebration, no party. We just went out for dinner at our favorite spot. The three of us. No fuss, no big deal. Come to think of it, it was just like any other ordinary outing of ours. But, truthfully, it was not. He is now a year older. Officially a year older.

Maybe the sentimentalist in me or what, every time important days like this came along, be it mine or someone else's, I am forced to re-evaluate my life. Most of the time, it happened unwillingly. Have I achieved enough? Have I done enough to achieve what I want out of life? The questions kept popping in my head. The questions kept coming. I am always flooded with a series of endless questions in my head. Unfortunately, I do not have any answer. None at all.

Have you ever wonder whether are you really living your life? Experience every single second, breathe in every single moment, suck the energy of life in you and live and live? It is my attempt to do this. Waking up in the morning, I remind myself this is what I have to do, this is what I should do, this is what I will do.. but there are times when I wondered, is this just way too much to ask for? I don't think so.

Like a movie I once watched, The Accidental Tourist, where the character, Macon Leary said, "Less... is invariably more". I wonder, does the same principle applies in life as well? Would we be happier in life with less things? less issues? Or is it entirely the opposite? all the things and issues that we are dealing with in a way enrich our life. Make us a better person. Keep us occupied?

In the end, I consoled myself to think that be it less or more...I'll just travel through life. Let's not be a tourist in our own life. Let's be a traveller. We may fall, we may pass through things we dislike, we may just hated something we stumbled upon but the thought of the endless possibilities of being able to find something or someone that we may just love and cherish with every single fiber in our existence thrills me to the max.

Sometime maybe less is indeed more but there will be a time when more and more is all that I want and is all that I need.

1 comment:

Aisya M said...

I am facing one of the most difficult part of my life and I will have to decide soon. But I know at the end of the day, whatever decisions I made, I will still live and continue living. :) Guess that makes me a traveler!

Post a Comment