Friday, November 20, 2009

The Story of Ebenezer Scrooge



I am not a big fan of animation or cartoon. Growing up, apart from Sesame Street, Thundercats and a few others, I don't really watch that much cartoon. I am into movies but somehow, the idea of watching animation does not seem too appealing to me. The reason being is I can't seem to convince myself that they are real. Being animation, it is not supposed to be real anyway but that is just what I think.

As a self-proclaimed movie fan, it is quite embarrassing to admit that I have not watch some of the highly acclaimed animation movie in the past decade or so. It could be a shocking discovery to some people that I have not watch animation movie like, The Lion King, Pocahontas, Monster Inc and a lot more.

On my defense, I did watch Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast, The Ice Age trilogy and Finding Nemo. I know it is a crime to say this but I didn't like Finding Nemo. I don't understand what the fuss is all about the movie. Okay, maybe the colorful animation is quite something and the vegetarian sharks is kinda funny but other than that it is kind of forgettable to me.

So, I was quite surprised last Thursday when I found myself reading the review of the latest animation movie by Walt Disney, A Christmas Carol in New Straits Time and The Sun when suddenly I felt a tinge of curiosity and a slight excitement to watch it. I wonder why. So, when Kak Mie suddenly asked me to join her for a midnight movie at Sunway Pyramid last nite, without hesitation I suggested we watch A Christmas Carol.

Throughout the duration of this animation, my eyes was glued to the big screen. From start to the ending, the animation is beyond amazing. I know that the word amazing is loosely used nowadays but it is indeed amazing. I could not believed my eyes sometime because it looks so friggin real. The opening scene itself is worth all the praises.

I have a basic idea of the storyline but it was just in bits and pieces. I found it to be quite engaging and very thoughtful. It was after all a classique literary story so it is sort of expected to be up to that level.

The story of a supergreedy man named Ebenezer Scrooge is presented in a slightly dark and edgy mode. Too dark and too edgy for animation I think but it is not a bad thing at all. I would not want it any other way. The mood needed to be dark and hollow. There are quite a few scenes in this movie that just gives me the goose bumps. I like it when that happened.



The scene featuring the Ghosts of Christmas Present is my favorite and the scene where Ebenezer took a journey back into his past is worth the RM11 you paid to watch this movie. Please go and check it out.

The journey of self redemption has never looks so friggin cool. I like it. Wait, that is wrong. I f**king love it!! oops!! pardon me!

p/s: The voice of Mr. Scrooge is by Jim Carrey and with that thick English accent I almost didnt recognize it. Two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment